Day 1 (Friday)
La Paz - Oruro
9:30 Local Bus from La Paz to Ouro.
14:00 Arrival in Oruro town.
15:30 Expreso del Sur train from Oruro to Uyuni.
22:20 Arrival in Uyuni town.
Day 2: (Saturday)
Uyuni - Uyuni Salt Flat - Train Cemetery - Colchani - Salt Hotel Museum - Ojos del Salar - Salt Piles - Incahuasi Island
Our Shared tours depart at 10:30 traveling towards Colchani, a small village of salt producers located 20 kms away from Uyuni. In Colchani village you will visit a traditional Salt Factory and have some free time to buy salt handicrafts and souvenirs.
On the way to the Uyuni Salt Flat you will see Salt Piles used in the extraction of salt by the workers. Next, you will visit the Eyes of the Salt Flat (Ojos del Salar) that are small water streams flowing from inside the earth beneath the salt. You will observe the geological formations of salt water and rocks. It has been said that this water has healing proprieties due to its particular acidic concentrations.
You will make a stop for lunch in the middle of the Salt Flat. Delicious main course, fruits and soft drinks will be served. (a vegetarian menu is available upon request at no extra charge).
Continuing your trip you will make a short stop at the Salt Museum (former Salt Hotel) where the displays include salt sculptures, Chullpas (Andean mummies) and salt objects. Close to the museum there is a small mound with many flags from all over the world. These flags have been left by travelers passing by the Majestic Uyuni Salt Flat.
Following the itinerary you will travel towards the Incahuasi Island - an angelfish-shaped hill with many giant cactuses up to 10 to 12 meters high - a spectacle of life inside the salt desert.
You will stay on Incahuasi Island for about 2 hours. From the Island there is a stunning view of the Thunupa Volcano.
At the end of the first day of the tour, you will stay overnight at Kachihuasi Hostel (Casa de Sal) located on the shores of the Salt Flat, 20 minutes away from Atullcha village. Accommodation provided: double or triple rooms with private toilets. Hot showers are available in a shared bathroom. Heating is not available.
Dinner will be served at Kachiwasi Hostel.
During the rainy season Hotel Kachiwasi is closed. Travelers will spend the night at the shores of the Uyuni Salt Flat in Hostels that feature shared rooms and shared bathrooms. Facilities at these Hostels are basic.
Day 3: (Sunday):
Uyuni Salt Flat - Minor Lagoons (Cañapa, Hedionda, Honda) - Siloli Desert - Stone Tree - Eduardo Avaroa Reserve - Red Lagoon (Laguna Colorada)- Andean Fauna: Pink Flamingos, vicuñas, visacachas.
The second day will start at 07:00 a.m. after breakfast.
The expedition will take you to Chiguana Salt Flat: a deserted spot with smaller salt concentration. From here, you will take a scenic drive through a countryside that features stunning deserts and breathtaking lagoons.
During your trip you will make a short trek to the Ollague Volcano view point with marvelous panoramic views of the Uyuni Salt Flat. (This tourist spot cannot be visited during the rainy season.)
You will make a stop on the road to have lunch (a vegetarian menu is available upon request at no extra charge).
Later you will travel towards the Amazing Lagoons: Colorada Lagoon / Red Lagoon (main flamingo nesting site), Cañapa Lagoon, Hedionda Lagoon, Honda Lagoon, Shiarkhota Lagoon and Ramaditas. In this part of the tour you can observe three flamingo species (Chilean, James and Andino) as well as wild vicunias and viscachas in their natural habitats.
Continuing the journey you will visit Pampa Siloli and the Stone Tree a tree-shaped volcanic rock formation.
Dinner and sleep over at Huayllajara camp. The shelter features shared rooms and a shared bathroom for all guests at the camp. Facilities are very basic, hot water and heating are not available due to the remoteness of the area. Huayllajara camp is located 15 minutes away from Colorada Lagoon/ Red Lagoon, inside the Eduardo Avaroa National Park.
Travelers that are sharing the tour will share a guestroom at Huayllajara camp.
Travelers can request a double room with private bathroom at the shelter at extra cost. Booking will be provided up on availability at the Huayllajara camp.
Day 4: (Monday)
Geysers "Sol de la Mañana" - Polques Thermal Baths - Salvador Dali Desert - Green Lagoon (Laguna Verde) at the feet of the Licancabur Volcano - Stone Valley - Uyuni
The third day of the tour will start at 05:00 a.m. by visiting the Sol de Mañana geysers. Then you will travel towards the Polques hot springs where you can take a relaxing bath in a small pool of natural thermal water.
Continuing the trip through the Salvador Dali desert you will arrive at the Laguna Verde / Green Lagoon where you will stop to see how the water changes its color. The intensity of the green color of the water depends on the wind in the area. If there is no wind, the reflection of the Licancabur Volcano in the water is also a wonderful sight.
On the way back to Uyuni you will be passing by the Laguna Negra and Quetena Chico town. Travelling by the El Bofedal, a large number of Andean Fauna such us llamas, vicuñas, and a huge variety of birds can be observed.
Before ending the tour, you will stopover at the Train Graveyard for a short stroll.
Arrival to Uyuni town approximately at 18:00 p.m.
Day 5 (Tuesday)
1:45 Wara Wara del Sur train from Uyuni to Oruro.
9:10 Arrival in Oruro city.
The tour includes:
- Local Bus ticket from La Paz to Oruro. The bus companies do not provide e-tickets so we will purchase the ticket in advance and deliver it to you at the reception of your Hotel in La Paz city.
- Expreso del Sur executive class ticket Oruro - Uyuni. The train company does provide e-tickets so we will purchase the train ticket in advance and deliver it to you at the reception of your Hotel in La Paz city.
- Wara Wara del Sur executive class Uyuni - Oruro. Tickets will be handled in Uyuni town at the beginning of your tour.
- Pick up from your Hotel in Uyuni town
- Shared Transportation: 4x4 vehicle for 6 passengers
- Meals: Day 1: Lunch and Dinner. Day 2: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Day 3: Breakfast and Lunch. Beverages during meals are included.
- First Night at Kachiwasi Hostal : Double or triple rooms with private bathroom, hot showers available outside the room, heating not available
- Second night at Huayllajara Shelter: Shared room for 6 people (6 single beds). The shelter features basic facilities, shared bathroom, no hot water/ shower/ heating. Huayllajara is located in an isolated spot 15 minutes away from Colorada Lagoon. The shelter also offers double rooms with private bathroom upon request at extra cost.
- Experienced Spanish speaking driver. If an English speaking guide will be needed please request him with anticipation at extra charge per day.
Services not included in the rate:
- Accommodation in Uyuni town Friday night / Day 1
- Local bus ticket Oruro - La Paz. Buses depart to La Paz city every 30 minutes, you can easily buy your bus ticket once you arrive in Oruro.
- Entrance tickets to:
- Incahuasi Island 20 Bs.- = 3 usd per person
- Salt Museum: 20 Bs.- = 3 usd. plus your consume
- Eduardo Avaroa Reserve 150 Bs.- = 22 usd per person. Carry Bolivianos currency to purchase the Entrance tickets. It is not allowed to pay with Dollars or other currency.
- English speaking tour guide
- Tips: Consider that sometimes locals are charging groups of travelers tips to pass by their villages.
- Services not mentioned in the itinerary
- This is a Shared tour. That means that travelers will be sharing the 4WD vehicle. The vehicle is assigned for 6 passengers plus a Driver/tour guide.
- This is an ideal budget friendly tour for tourists traveling alone. The tour operator makes proper arrangements to complete the group for 6 travelers.
- Accommodation for the first night can be in a double or triple room with private bathroom, while the second night is going to be at Huayllajara shelter that features shared rooms and basic facilities.
- Meals are served with a variety of vegetables and fruits. There is a special menu for vegetarians
- Please dress appropriately: comfortable walking shoes, sunglasses and hats are recommended. Sun block is a must. Do not forget your swimming suits to enjoy the thermal waters.
- During winter carry gloves, scarf and warm clothes. (May, June, July and August)
- The company rents sleeping bags during the route at extra charge
- This tour does not cover traveler insurance. If you want to purchase it please contact us.
- The service doesn't include tips or extra beverages.
- We can drop you to your Hotel in Uyuni once the tour is over. Please request this service at your convenience.
- If an English speaking guide will be included in the service he/she will use an extra seat in the vehicle.
- We are a serious Tour provider of tours around the Uyuni area. We make sure that our clients will take a tour with responsible drivers and tour guides.
- It is important that you get a medical health check in your country before taking this tour. The tour reaches high altitudes that might affect your blood pressure.
- Due to weather or road conditions the itinerary might vary without notice to ensure traveler safety. Please take the previous detailed itinerary only as a reference.
- We aim to notify customers about major changes in the itinerary during the rainy season, but sometimes the weather changes dramatically and we are not able to inform them with (lots of) anticipation.
- During winter there may be some snow, obliging us to change the route to ensure the safety of our clients.
We can also help you book:
- Private transfers to Sucre, Potosi, Tupiza, Calama, Oruro, San Pedro de Atacama, La Paz.
- Direct Flight La Paz - Uyuni - La Paz
- Direct Flight Santa Cruz - Uyuni - Santa Cruz
- Bus + Train: La Paz - Oruro - Uyuni
- Train Tickets: Oruro - Uyuni - Oruro: Expreso del Sur and Wara Wara del Sur
- Bus tickets to Sucre, Potosi, Tupiza, Villazon, Avaroa.
- Hotel bookings in Uyuni town, around the Uyuni Salt Flat, Villa Mar, Desert of Atacama and any other departments of Bolivia.
- Travel Insurance
Location and Map
Travelers will start the tour in La Paz city and will end the tour in Oruro city.
In order to get to Uyuni transportation by bus and train is included in the tour. Trains going to Uyuni depart only from Oruro city. Travelers need to take a local bus from La Paz city to Oruro and from there travel by train to Uyuni. Due to the train schedule we can only provide this tour to travelers starting their journey on Friday.