Twighlight reflections and Tunupa Vulcano - 2 Days / 1 Night,
2 Days, 1 Night
- Rates & Booking
- How to get there
Location and map
How to get to Uyuni ?
How to get from La Paz to Uyuni?
You can travel from La Paz to Uyuni by bus, by plane or by train.
La Paz to Uyuni by Bus
There are only overnight buses from La Paz to Uyuni. The travel time by bus from La Paz to Uyuni takes approximately 12 to 15 hours. We recommend you to travel using the following Bus companies:
1. Todo Turismo with daily departures at 21:00 hrs. (highly recommended). The company counts with semi bed seats buses and provides dinner and breakfast on board. The Bus features bathroom, heating and Wi Fi Internet.
2. Panasur Bus with daily departures at 19:00 hrs. The company counts with bed and semi bed seat buses. The bus features bathroom and heating.
3. Predilecto Bus with daily departures at 19:00 hrs. The company travels via the Potosí route. The trip is longer but the road is fully paved. The arrival time in Uyuni is 8:30 a.m. approx. The Predilecto Bus counts with semi bed seats, bathroom and heating. Dinner and breakfast on board are included.
4. Trans Omar. The Company features semi bed seat buses. The bus departs at 19:00 hrs.
5. Trans Illimani with daily departures. The company features bed buses with bathroom and heating. The highway from La Paz to Oruro is paved until Challapata town. From there the road is a dirt road, which means that during the rainy season the transit is difficult.
The Predilecto Bus Company and the Illimani bus company travel to Uyuni via the Potosí route, which means that the bus travels during the whole trip on a paved road. The trip to Uyuni is longer but ideal during the rainy season.
La Paz to Uyuni by train
The train to Uyuni departs only from Oruro city. If you want to take the train to Uyuni you will need to travel by bus from La Paz to Oruro. The travel time is about 4 hours on paved road.
Once in Oruro, you can take the train to Uyuni. The train company does not sell tickets online. It is possible to purchase the train tickets at the La Paz train station office.
Please schedule one full day in your itinerary for this trip.
La Paz to Uyuni by plane
Currently only Amaszonas airline offers La Paz - Uyuni - La Paz flights.
There are 4 to 6 daily departure flights from La Paz to Uyuni. The travel time is 45 minutes, the flight is directly from La Paz to Uyuni. The airline uses jets for this service. Each jet transports 41 passengers per trip.
We recommend you to take the early morning flights to Uyuni. This way you will be able to start your Uyuni Salt Flat tour the day of your arrival in Uyuni.
For the way back to La Paz there are also 4 to 6 daily flights available. We recommend you to take the last flight going back to Uyuni. The flight departs at 20:30 hrs. You can take this flight as soon as you end your tour in Uyuni. The Uyuni tours usually end by 18:00 hrs.
Because this is a domestic flight you need to be at the airport at least one hour before the departure time of your flight. The Uyuni Airport is new and it is located 10 minutes away from Uyuni town.
How to get from Oruro to Uyuni?
Oruro to Uyuni by train.
There are two train companies traveling from Oruro to Uyuni. For your reference the trains also travel from Oruro to Tupiza and Villazón.
Train companies Oruro - Uyuni
Expreso del Sur with departures on Tuesdays and Fridays at 15:30
Wara Wara del Sur with departures on Wednesdays and Sundays at 19:00
Oruro to Uyuni by bus.
We recommend you to travel from Oruro to Uyuni on board of the Trans Azul bus company. The bus features semi bed seats and has daily departures from Oruro to Uyuni at 21:00 hrs. Please take into consideration that the bus arrives in Uyuni at 4:00 a.m.
How to get from Sucre to Uyuni?
The travel time between Sucre and Uyuni is about 7.5 hrs. The buses leaving Sucre generally make a stop in Potosí city and later continue the trip to Uyuni. Generally the trip by bus during the day takes longer because of the waiting time in Potosí.
You can also travel from Sucre to Uyuni using a private transfer and avoid wasting your time making a stop in Potosí city.
You can travel from Sucre to Uyuni at night in a direct bus. The bus departs from Uyuni at 21:00 hrs and arrives in Sucre at 5:00 a.m. The bus features semi bed and bed seats. You can choose to travel on board of the Emperador Bus company or the Diana bus company.
How to get from Potosí to Uyuni?
You can travel from Potosí to Uyuni by bus or private transfer. The travel time between this two cities is about 4 hours on a well maintained paved road. Unfortunately there are no flights from Potosí to Uyuni.
The recommended bus companies are:
Diana Tours with daily departures two times a day at 11:00 and at 18:30 p.m.
Emperador Bus Company with daily departures twice a day at 12:00 p.m. and at 19:00 p.m.
How to get from Villazón to Uyuni?
Villazón to Uyuni by train
The Expreso del Sur train departs from Villazón on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 15:30 and arrives in Uyuni at 23:35
The Wara Wara train departs from Villazón on Mondays and Thursdays at 15:30 and arrives in Uyuni at 1:00 a.m.
Both train make a short stop in Tupiza.
Villazón to Uyuni by bus
The buses travel from Villazón to Uyuni via Tupiza. There are daily departure buses from Villazón to Tupiza at 4:00 and 14:00 hrs. The travel time between Villazón and Tupiza is about 3 hours.
Once in Tupiza you can take a bus to Uyuni. There are daily departure buses from Tupiza to Uyuni at 10:00 a.m. The travel time between Tupiza and Uyuni is 6 hours.
How to get from Cochabamba to Uyuni ?
The Trans Omar bus company is the only company that provides this service. The bus travels from Cochabamba to Uyuni every Saturday. The bus departs at 20:00 hrs. The travel time is about 12 hours.
The bus departs from Uyuni to Cochabamba every Friday at 21:00 hrs and arrives in Cochabamba by 06:30 a.m.
The bus features semi bed seats, bathroom and heating.
You can also travel from Cochabamba to Uyuni by train, taking the train in Oruro. You will need to take a bus from Cochabamba to Oruro (travel time 4.5 hrs) and take the train from Oruro to Uyuni. Please read the information on how to get from Oruro to Uyuni detailed in this article.
Unfortunately there is no direct flight from Cochabamba to Uyuni. If you want to travel by plane to Uyuni, you will need to take a flight from Cochabamba to La Paz and from there to Uyuni.
How to get from Santa Cruz to Uyuni?
Because of the distance between Santa Cruz and Uyuni we don't recommend travelling by land.
You can take a plane from Santa Cruz to La Paz and from there take a flight to Uyuni. Unfortunately there are not direct flights from Santa Cruz to Uyuni.
You can also travel by plane from Santa Cruz to Sucre and from Sucre you can take a bus or a private transfer to Uyuni.
We don't recommend you to travel by train from Santa Cruz to Uyuni because the travel time will be too long. You will need to take a bus or plane from Santa Cruz to Cochabamba and from there take a bus to Oruro where you can take the train to Uyuni.
For your reference the travel time from Santa Cruz to Cochabamba is about 12 hours. You will need to add another 4.5 hours to travel from Cochabamba to Oruro and other 6.5 hours to travel by train from Oruro to Uyuni.
How to get from Chile to Uyuni?
You can travel from Chile to Uyuni via Calama. There are buses traveling from Calama to Uyuni on specific days. The bus travels to Uyuni through the Ollague border. The road is paved in some parts and mostly unpaved on the Bolivian side.
If you are in San Pedro de Atacama wanting to get to Uyuni, we recommend you to take a tour in San Pedro de Atacama to Uyuni, the most common tours are the 3 days/2 nights. There are no buses going to Uyuni from San Pedro de Atacama.
How to get from Cuzco to Uyuni?
You can take a flight from Cuzco to Uyuni. The flight travels via La Paz. The Amaszonas Airline offers daily departures from Cuzco to Uyuni.
You can also take a bus from Cuzco to La Paz and once in La Paz travel to Uyuni by bus, train or plane. We detailed how to get from La Paz to Uyuni in this article.
How to get from Argentina to Uyuni?
We recommend you to travel to San Salvador de Jujuy and from there take a bus to La Quiaca. Cross the border to Villazón and from there take a train or bus to Uyuni.
If you travel from Argentina to La Paz city, you can also take a direct flight from La Paz to Uyuni.
Sucre and Potosí city are beautiful colonial towns worth to visit. We recommend you to travel from La Paz or Santa Cruz to Sucre by plane. Visit Sucre and later take a taxi, a bus or a private transfer to Potosí. The travel time between Sucre and Potosí is 3.5 hours. After a visit to Casa de la Moneda, San Felipe de Neri Museum or The Cayara Hacienda in Potosí, you can take a bus to Uyuni. The travel time between Potosí and Uyuni is 4 hours.
There are no flights from Sucre to Uyuni and from Potosí to Uyuni.
If you decide to travel by bus in Bolivia we recommend you never accept any beverage, meal or candy from strangers.
We recommend you to travel with a small blanket in the buses as sometimes the heating in the buses is not working properly.
If you arrive early in the morning in Uyuni, don't worry about your safety. Uyuni is a pretty small and safe town.
From the top, everything looks different. See the Uyuni Salt Flats (Salar de Uyuni) from the best places in the region.
During your expedition, you will climb the Tunupa volcano and see the salt flat in all its immensity. You will also walk to the top of Incahuasi Island, home of ancient cacti. The view from these two locations is a natural spectacle worth remembering.
This experience would not be complete without contemplating a beautiful sunset, stargazing and watching the sunrise inside the Uyuni Salt Flat. Prepare your sandals and a camera for this unforgettable journey!
Pickup of passengers from the bus station, hotel, or airport.
10:30 Start of the private tour: Twighlight reflections and the Tunupa Vulcano
The first stop of the tour is the Train Cemetery, located about 3kms. from the town of Uyuni. These trains were purchased during the administration of president Aniceto Arce, a great visionary of the mining industry. Unfortunately the exportation of minerals from Bolivia to Europe failed due to the resistance of the natives who did not want their lands invaded.
After a brief visit to the abandoned locomotives, we will take you to the village of Colchani, at the entrance of the Uyuni Salt Flat. Here you can purchase some handicrafts made from salt and observe the manual processing of the salt extracted from thre salt flat.
Continuing the journey we will show you the "ojos del salar" (eyes of the salt flat), small openings where the water flowing beneath the salt is revealed. This water has some healing properties due to its high mineral content. We will extract some salt crystals formed inside these eyes.
On our way to the Incahuasi Island we will make a short stop at the ex Hotel de Sal Playa Blanca, now converted into a cafe. This Hotel has been closed by the authorities due to the environmental impact it had inside the salt flat. Here you will have some free time to take spectacular photos of the salt flat.
Lunch. The lunch includes a main course, dessert and drinks (sodas, water). Vegeterian menu is available at no extra charge.
After lunch we will visit the Galaxy Cave, an underwater cave that is now dry. The cave was discovered the 22nd of August, 2003. Inside there are interesting calcified structures resulting from the contact of magnesium with the water. A few meters away is the devil's cave that has a well-prserved pre-colombian cemetery inside.
Next we will go to a special place inside the salt flat. Here you can find water covering the surface during the entire dry season. We recommend to bring an extra pair of shoes, sandals or rubber boots so that you can walk in the water.
We will wait for sunset inside the salt flat, taking spectacular photos of the reflections in the water. This is a truly unique experience.
Accomodation of choice. We can offer you accomodation in a hotel in Atullcha with double and triple rooms with shared bathroom or in one of the iconic Salt Hotels: Hotel Luna Salada, Hotel Palacio de Sal, Hotel Cristal Samaña, Hotel de Sal Tayka or the Hotel de Piedra Tayka. The selected accomodation will depend on your budget and preferences.
Dinner will be served in the hotel in Atullcha if it is the one you choose. If you decide to stay in one of the Salt Hotels, you can order dinner in the restaurant of the selected hotel.
21:00 hrs After dinner we will take you back to the Uyuni Salt Flat to a strategic point for stargazing. The stargazing activity is about 2 hrs. long.
Stargazing inside the Uyuni Salt Flat is one of the most sublime things you can do for enjoyment and inspiration. There's just something so wonderful about standing (or lying or sitting) under a starry sky that evokes feelings of awe and wonder.
If the night will be cloudy we will do the sunrise activity instead. We will transport you to the Uyuni Salt Flat before the sunrise so you will see the stars as well. Later we will wait for a beautiful sunrise in the Uyuni Salt Flat.
We will begin the day with a tasty breakfast
After breakfast we will visit the Incahuasi Island, home to hundreds of giant cacti gracing the landscaspe. The island is in the middle of the salt flat, visiting it means little physical effert. From the peak of the Incahuasi Island there are spectacular views of the Uyuni Salt Flat.
There will be some extra time here for resting and taking even more pictures.
Next we head to the feet of the Tunupa vulcano where we can find a small lagoon with pink flamencos and andean birds. You can also see moors with plenty of llamas.
The Tunupa vulcano is inactive and located on the north shore of the Uyuni Salt Flat at 5432 meters above sea level. Its name is derived from the god of thunder anf lightning, Tunupa, and is also his altar.
The Tunupa vulcano has two viewpoints and a crater at the top. In order to climb it you must be in a good physical condition. The difficulty of the climb is medium and we will go up by car as far as possible. Due to the amount of time availabale, we will probably reach only the first viewpoint. In case the passengers are are in a very good condition, they can reach the second viewpoint too. Near the first viewpoint are the Mummies of Chantani.
After the descent from the Tunupa vulcano we will have lunch in nthe moors.
On the way back to Uyuni we will visit the Rock Village and Coqueza.
We will arrive in Uyuni at around 18:00 hrs.
END OF OUR SERVICES
The tour includes:
- Pickup from your Hotel in Uyuni, the bus station or the Uyuni Airport.
- Private transportation during the tour (The number of passengers will depend on how many people are traveling with you).
- Food. Day 1: Lunch and Dinner (In case of staying in the Hotel de Atullcha). Day 2: Breakfast and Lunch. Drinks during the lunches are included.
- Accomodation according to the preferences of the passenger. We can provide double, matrimonial or triple rooms with shared bathroom in Hotel de Atullcha or include accomodation in one of the Salt Hotels: Hotel Luna Salada, Hotel Cristal Samaña, Hotel Palacio de Sal, Hotel de Sal Tayka or Hotel de Piedra Tayka.
- Experienced spanish speaking driver with knowledge of the area.
The tour does not include:
- Entrance ticket to Isla Incahuasi 30 Bs.- = 4,3 USD - per person.
- Entrance ticket to the Galaxy cave15 Bs.- = 2 USD - per person.
- English speaking tour guide.
- Dinner in the selected Salt Hotel.
- We are a serious Tour provider of tours around the Uyuni area. We make sure that our clients will take a tour with responsible drivers and tour guides.
- The Uyuni area is very remote and road conditions are bad. This may cause vehicles to be damaged. Please be patient if a wheel needs to be changed, the driveres are experienced and will get the job done quickly.
- It is important that you get a medical health check in your country before taking this tour. The tour reaches high altitudes that might affect your blood pressure. Even though there is a first-aid kit in the car, we recommend you take with you basic medications for headaches or stomach problems.
- Please note that the tour will take you to remote areas where emergency medical help may not be available. The nearest health center is in the town of Uyuni. There are no health services inside the Eduardo Avaroa National Park.
- Due to weather or road conditions the itinerary might vary without notice to ensure traveler safety. Please take the previous detailed itinerary only as a reference.
- This is a private tour, meaning that you won't share the vehicle with other travelers.
- If an English speaking guide will be included in the service he/she will use an extra seat in the vehicle.
- Meals are served with a variety of vegetables and fruits. There is a special menu for vegetarians at no extra charge.
- Please dress appropriately: comfortable walking shoes, sunglasses and hats are recommended. Sun block is a must. Do not forget your extra shoes, sandals or boots to walk in the water covering the salt.
- During winter carry gloves, scarf and warm clothes. (May, June, July and August).
- The company rents sleeping bags during the route at extra charge.
- This tour does not cover traveler insurance. If you want to purchase it please contact us.
- The service doesn't include tips or extra beverages.
We can also arrange for you:
- Direct fllight La Paz - Uyuni - La Paz
- Flights Santa Cruz - Uyuni - Santa Cruz
- Private transfers to Sucre, Potosí, Tupiza, Calama, Oruro, San Pedro de Atacama, La Paz.
- Autobus: La Paz - Uyuni - La Paz
- Bus and Train: La Paz - Oruro - Uyuni
- Train tickets : Oruro - Uyuni - Oruro: Expreso del Sur or Wara Wara del Sur
- Train tickets from Uyuni to Tupiza and Villazón
- Bus tickets to Sucre, Potosí, Tupiza, Villazón, Avaroa.
- Reservations for hotels in Uyuni, in Salt Hotels at the edge of the Salt Flat, Hotels in Villa Mar, Atacama desert and other departments of Bolivia.
- Travel insurance